My Top 10 Reads of 2017
1. Green Men: Spectred Isle – K.J. Charles
2. His Quiet Agent – Ada Maria Soto
3. Society of Gentlemen: A Gentleman’s Position – K.J. Charles
4. Turner Series: The Ruin of a Rake – Cat Sebastian
5. Turner Series: The Lawrence Browne Affair – Cat Sebastian
6. Captive Prince: The Summer Palace – C.S. Pacat
7. Witches of London – Eagle’s Shadow – Aleksandr Voinov & Jordan Taylor
8. Kria: Prisoner – Megan Derr
9. Hexworld: Hexslayer – Jordan L. Hawk
10. The Weight of It All – N.R. Walker
The Weight of It All – N.R. Walker
After being dumped by his long-term boyfriend for being overweight, Henry Beckett decides to make some drastic changes. In a vain attempt at getting his boyfriend back, Henry does the most absurdly frightening thing he can think of.
He joins a gym.
Reed Henske is a personal trainer who isn’t sure he’ll ever be ready to date again. He’s sick of guys who are only interested in the perfect body image, never seeing him for who he really is.
As Reed tortures Henry with things like diet and exercise, Henry enamours Reed with recipes and laughter. As the friendship lines start to blur, Henry is convinced there’s no way Thor-like Reed could ever be interested in a guy like him.
Reed just has to convince Henry that life isn’t about reaching your ideal bodyweight. It’s about finding your perfect counterweight.
A feel-good weight-loss faery tale from Australian author N.R. Walker complete with a queen with verbal diarrhea, Prince Charming in gym shorts, orgasmic lemon tarts and Chariots of Fire soundtrack. Henry’s “I’m going to die” jokes might be repetitive but his banter with Reed was as easy going as it is hilarious. Reed was the nicest Thor I have ever come across with, he values honesty and humor over looks. The side characters, Anika, Sean and Melinda, are the kind of brutally honest people I love to be friends with. It might be a kind of faery tale but it’s still grounded in reality. At the end, Henry didn’t get a poster perfect body but he did lose weight and was healthier. And he certainly got his happily ever after.
As somebody who has weight-loss woes since forever, I still couldn’t believe that they can eat all that food and still LOSE weight!
4.5 – perfection is only half a step away
[spotify id=”spotify%3Atrack%3A5wMPn2jVkXylSu6eeIaLTJ&view=coverart” width=”540″ height=”620″ /]